Boulevard Motors

Dixie State University's Student News Source

December 8th, 2015,

Trustees approve tuition increase, building projects, new programs

Students at Dixie State University can look forward to new academic programs, housing and a human performance center on campus soon thanks to the board of trustees.

The trustees meeting began Friday morning with an update on the Zion National Park experiential learning program. Eric Pedersen, science and technology dean, said the program has received support from the National Parks Service and is moving quickly with support. 

Paul Morris, vice president of administrative services, presented the master plan for 2016, which detailed the new Human Performance Center project. He said the center will be built in place of the tennis courts near the Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons. The proposal outlined plans for an Olympic-sized pool, three basketball courts and office spaces.  

“We think the stars are lining up with this,” Morris said.

The master plan also revealed additional information about new student housing, an extension and remodel of the Gardner Center, and an implementation of a parking garage across the street from the encampment mall.

David Wade, academic program and curriculum director, presented an update on the academic program research project, which evaluates the need for specific programs at DSU. 

“Up until we became a university, we had very much a checklist for programs that we needed to add to become a university,” he said. “Since then, we’ve been charting our own course, which is very exciting.” 

Wade emphasized the importance of research because the task force isn’t simply trying to add their own ideas of what programs DSU should offer, but rather trying to identify what programs will be the most successful in the next five years and beyond.

Students can also look forward to additions to the Burns Arena. President Biff Williams said the project will be breaking ground “as soon as possible,” and he’s hopeful it will be finished by September or October.

In the president’s report, Williams specifically mentioned his gratitude for being able to work with the faculty senate.

“I enjoy meeting with [the faculty senate] and they have shown great leadership on this campus,” he said. 

Student Body President Gregory J. Layton, a senior English major from Cottonwood Heights, presented the proposal for tuition and fee increases that were discussed in February at the Truth in Tuition meeting. The board unanimously approved the proposal for a 7.5 percent increase of tuition.  

Emily Havens -

Editor-in-Chief Emily Havens is a senior communication major from St. George who's originally a transfer student from the University of Utah. Emily has a passion for writing, doodling, music and mass media. Follow her on Twitter: @EmilyHavensDSN

Comments

Boulevard Motors
Tweets by @DixieSunNews